Monday, March 7, 2011

Auto regulators drop rule for power window safety requirement

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) withdrew proposed rulemaking for an automatic reverse function that would prevent a child’s neck or hand from getting caught in a closing window, if they inadvertently pressed down the switch that raises the window.

There are few fatalities or serious injuries that additional safety requirements could prevent, NHTSA stated in a notice about the nixed rule. Any new regulation “would instead address primarily ‘finger-pinch’ type injuries.”

Vehicle redesigns have largely addressed the issue, and now have window switches that need to be pulled up. Window switches that are pressed down to close automatic windows have been replaced, virtually eliminating the hazard. This leaves only older vehicles with that specific safety hazard.

NHTSA also asked for a delay in requiring backup cameras in cars. Both measures are part of the 2007 Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act, for which Consumers Union originally lobbied.

Consumers can check out which vehicles have auto-reverse safety features through safercar.gov
—Maggie Shader

Source;
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/safety/2011/03/auto-regulators-drop-rule-for-power-window-safety-requirement.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's remarkable in favor of me to have a site, which is helpful in support of my know-how. thanks admin

my web blog where buy hcg

Anonymous said...

Hοwԁy! I could have ѕwοrn I've visited this site before but after looking at many of the articles I realized it's
new to me. Αnyωays, I'm certainly delighted I stumbled upon it and I'll be booκ-markіng it and checking back often!


Here is mу page: hcg diet before and after